This SEO checklist is for small businesses who want to improve their visibility in search engines. If you tick off everything on this list, your site is guaranteed to rank higher, attract more visitors and generate more leads/sales.
- Create accounts on Google Search Console, Google Analytics and Google+.
- Make a list of keywords that you want to rank for.
- Use Google’s Keyword Tool to refine your list of keywords.
- Create 1 page of authority content for each keyword that you want to rank for.
- Add additional content to your site on a monthly basis.
- Write a unique, descriptive title and meta description for every page.
- For each page, add the keyword to the url, page title, meta description and header tag.
- For each image, add the keyword for the page it’s on to the file name and img alt tag.
- Put your address and phone number in a prominent position on every page of your site.
- Add social media sharing buttons and links to your social media accounts to every page of your site.
- Link directly to your best content from your homepage and/or main navigation area.
- Make every page of your site accessible within 3 clicks from your homepage.
- Make sure your site loads properly in different web browsers and screen resolutions.
- Add your site to industry and local online directories.
- Ask partners/suppliers/customers/friends to link to your site.
- Contact businesses and bloggers and ask them to link to your best content.
- Use Ahrefs.com to find the good backlinks that your competitors already have, and then replicate them.
You can find details on how to implement these actions within the help and advice section of this site. You can also contact me to ask a question or hire me to implement some or all of the actions for you.